Lincoln College Oxford was founded in 1427 by Richard Fleming the Bishop of Lincoln. He obtained a charter which combined All Souls Church, St Michael of the Northgate and Mildred's Church. All Souls Church became Lincoln College library, St Michael of the Northgate served frequently as the college chapel and St Mildred's was pulled down to make space for the building of the actual college.
Lincoln College owns most or part of the buildings opposite Turl Street. The rooms above the shops are used for student accommodation.
Jesus College by Dorothy Megaw
Lincoln College owns most or part of the buildings opposite the college on Turl Street. The rooms above the shops are mostly used for student accommodation.
Turl Street, Oxford
No. 15 Turl Street is occupied by the Oxfam book shop. In 2013 a first edition of T.S. Eliot's 'The Waste Land' was kindly donated to the shop. It made £4.5k at auction.
Oxfam is the largest second hand book seller in the UK.
Walters of Oxford have been trading on Turl Street for over 150 years. Owned by Shepherd & Woodward, they provide academic, ceremonial and gentleman's clothing.
In 2019, owing to the diminishing footfall, Rowell of Oxford shut down. It had been trading on Turl Street since 1792 and was Oxford's oldest established jewellers.
It's victorian display cabinets were a delight to both 'town and gown'.
Rowell of Oxford
No 18 High Street has been owned by Lincoln College since 1475. Downstairs, The Mitre, is a restaurant and bar, while upstairs is used for student accommodation. It had been a coach inn since 1310. The name 'The Mitre' may have come from the headwear worn by the Bishop of Lincoln who founded the College.
Stanton William's Art Centre at Lincoln College is a cultural meeting point for Lincoln College students and friends. It is a two story glass pavilion set in the Rector's garden. Shapes and colours from Lincoln College library are often reflected in its glass windows.
The Mitre, Oxford
The spire of Lincoln College Library, All Souls Church, is thought to have been designed by the great Baroque architect Nicholas Hawksmoor. The spire is one of many which make up the 'Dreaming spires of Oxford'.
'dreaming spires of oxford'