Green Templeton College
by Dorothy Megaw
Green College merged with Templeton College in 2008 and became Green Templeton College. The college is based on the site of the Radcliffe Observatory, an impressive 18th century building fashioned after the 'Tower of the Winds' in Athens.
Towards the top of the crest is an image of the sun, a symbol for Venus, this is in reference to the transit of Venus across the sun in 1761. The Radcliffe Observatory was a working observatory 1773-1934 and was built as a means to see such cosmological events.
Notice the rod of Aesculapius and the nautilus shells, these symbolise medicine and healing. Now look towards the top of the crest at the symbol for Venus, this is referencing the transit of Venus across the sun in 1761. The Radcliffe Observatory was built purely as a means to see this great cosmological event.
The Covered Market shares an entrance with Jesus College on Market Street. It was opened in 1773 and is one of the oldest covered markets in Britian.
brown's cafe, coverered market, oxford
jesus college on market street and turl street, oxford