Hertford college by Dorothy Megaw
Hertford College, originally Hart Hall, was established in 1282. It became a full college of the University in 1740.
Hertford college can be found on Catte Street opposite the Old Bodlein Library. It is renowned for the Bridge of Sighs, a skywalk joining two Hertford College buildings together over New College Lane.
The College has a cat called Simpkins, named after the cat in 'The Tailor of Gloucester' story by Beatrix Potter.
All Herford College cats are called Simpkins. The current cat is Simpkins IV.
T.G. Jackson is an important figure in the history of Herford College. He is the architect behind the Bridge of Sighs. He is also responsible for the south and east blocks of New Buildings Quad as well as Hertford chapel.
T. G. Jackson's 'Bridge of Sighs' bridging the buildings of Hertford College.
Bridge of Sighs
Hertford College buildings