Merton College was established in 1264 by Walter de Merton, Lord Chancellor and Bishop of Rochester. One of the most unusual and striking visual aspects of the college is the sculpture over the gatehouse.
J. R. R. Tolkien was
Professor of English Language and Literature at Merton after the second world war till 1959.
The Inklings, which included J.R.R. Tolkien, and C.S. Lewis, met up once a week at the Eagle and Child pub on St Giles to discuss fantasy in literature.
Sculpture over Gatehouse, Merton College, Oxford by
eagle and child pub, st giles, oxford
Oxford's Central Post Office was originally based in a small part of the Town Hall. It grew too big and in 1880, it found it's new home at 102-104 St Aldates. It was designed by E J Rivers at a cost of £10,000 out of Chilmark stone. Today it is owned by Merton College and ground floor is leased back to the Post Office.
Merton college, Merton street, Oxford