New College was founded in 1379. It was called 'new' because it was the second college in Oxford to be dedicated to St Mary. It is situated right in the heart of the city and looks onto Holywell Street.
The chapel is magnificent. Works by Sir Joshua Reynolds and El Greco are on show and the reredos provided by Sir Gilbert Scott are populated with statues.
Go to evensong, the New College choir is thought to be one of the best in the world
Entrance to the college on Holywell Street
New College Lane was the original entrance to New college. Look up at the statues above the Gatehouse; one is the founder of the college William of Wykeham, the other is the Virgin Margin to whom the college is dedicated to and the remaining one is the archangel Gabriel.
statues over the Gatehouse