Merton College was established in 1264 by Walter de Merton, Lord Chancellor and Bishop of Rochester. One of the most unusual and striking visual aspects of the college is the sculpture over the gatehouse.
J. R. R. Tolkien was
Professor of English Language and Literature at Merton after the second world war till 1959.
Sculpture over Gatehouse, Merton College, Oxford by
The Inklings, which included J.R.R. Tolkien, and C.S. Lewis, met up once a week at the Eagle and Child pub on St Giles to discuss fantasy and narrative in literature.
eagle and child pub, st giles, oxford
Merton college, Merton street, Oxford