St Antony's was founded in 1950 and is named after Anthony the Great, the christian ascetic whose ideals and lifestyle brought monasticism to eastern and western Christianity. St Antony's was founded thanks to a generous gift by the french merchant, Sir Antonin Besse of Aden.
The College library originally opened as a convent in 1868. It was initiated by Marion Rebecca Hughes, the first woman to take holy orders since the reformation.
The Hilda Besse building was designed in 1971 by John Partridge. It's an elegant modernist building which encompasses traditional oxford elements such as long dining and common rooms. It also houses the kitchen, bar and teaching rooms.
The new Gateway building formed another opening to the college. Check this is the right image.
brown's cafe, coverered market, oxford
jesus college on market street and turl street, oxford