Wycliffe Hall founded in 1977, is one of the colleges which makes up the University of Oxford. It is named after the theologian and scholar John Wycliffe. He was part of a group of people who translated the bible from latin to english in the fourteenth century.
In 1555, Hugh Latimer, Nicholas Ridley and Thomas Cranmer were burnt at the stake on Broad Street for their beliefs. They are known as the 'Oxford Martyrs'. Like John Wycliffe they challenged the religious teachings of the day.
Martyr's Memorial, Oxford
In 1866 a local St Clements man, John Gibbs, designed no 54 Banbury Road. Today it is known as Wycliffe Hall Oxford.
In 1843 the Martyrs Memorial was built. It was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott. The memorial stands on the south side of St Giles in front of St John's College. The actual location is marked by a cross embedded in the road on Broad Street.
Also on Broad Street is a red telephone box. This was designed by his son Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1924.
red telephone box, broad street, oxford
In 1356 John Wycliffe achieved an arts degree from Merton College. In the same year he wrote a treatise called 'The Last Age of the Church'. At that time the Black Death, a global pandemic, was raging through Europe and Asia. John Wycliffe believed it heralded the end of the world. He saw it as a result of God's judgement on a wayward clergy.
Merton College, Oxford
In 1360 John Wycliffe became master of Balliol College, Oxford